We have funds available to support research into the disease and welfare of horses, cattle and sheep through our Norman Hayward Fund. Applications are welcome from academic and practice based researchers, who can demonstrate that their project will have a practical positive impact on the welfare of these animals.
The Norman Hayward Fund has awarded over £1 million to research projects in the UK. Grants awarded in the last four years have ranged in value from £12,000 - £200,000.
You may find it useful to read about current projects and look at our grants archive before submitting an application. Our aim is to support projects that put research into practice.
How to apply
Please read this page for details and guidance on how to apply.
There is currently no grants round for 2016. If you wish to register your interest, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know when the next grants round opens.
There is a two stage application process. In the first stage applicants must submit a project overview form which gives a summary of the project.
Forms may be submitted by post or by email to email@example.com. Forms submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Trustees consider the project overviews and decide whether to invite applicants to submit a full application form. We do not give feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Guidance for Applicants
To help you decide whether to submit a project overview, please also refer to the AWF Research Guidelines pdf for applicants which detail the information that is required for a full application.
Funding is not normally available:
- for projects based outside the UK;
- for travel costs that are not part of a larger agreed project;
- to undergraduates;
- to cover ongoing costs or any day to day expenses not directly associated with the project;
- for capital projects, for example the construction of animal hospitals or shelters;
- for goods or services bought before the BVA AWF award is confirmed i.e. funding is not available retrospectively;
- for goods or services not mentioned in the initial application to the Foundation.